Whether you're heading there for the first time or are enjoying your 10th Affiliate Summit, here is a list of things to remember to pack, and a few tips that have worked well for me at past events:
What to Pack
Here are my essentials:
- List of names, phone numbers and email addresses of people I am meeting with (if you come from other country, check to make sure your phone plan works were you are - or get a temporary phone while you're there - personal lesson learned from last year).
- 3 sets of business / business casual clothes, two dresses, pajamas, and three casual outfits for evenings out
- One pair of dress shoes and one pair of casual walking shoes
- Makeup, toiletries and personal items to make me look and smell pretty
- Notes for my speech
- Client and AIM promotional materials for our sponsored meeting room
- Gift bags for our affiliates to enjoy
- 200 business cards
- Money (Credit Cards and Cash)
- Refillable filtered water bottle
- Halls / throat drops (lots of talking)
- Snacks for plane and the conference - it will be super busy and fast paced and you will need your energy
- Camera, lip balm, and your dignity!
If you miss anything else, you can buy it there.
1. Be yourself. Say Hi, smile, ask questions of other people and show genuine interest. My first summit was a huge success because I did this and people who were more veteran than I adopted me because I genuinely wanted to learn more about them and how this all worked.
2. If you have meetings, be on time or make sure you have the person's number so you can text them if you're running late. Sometimes meetings run longer than you think and you have to consider travel time. This happened to me at my last show and I couldn't text the person because my Canadian roaming wasn't letting me get texts out. She never got the message and thought I just left her sitting there. Be sure you check your numbers and plans.
3. If you're new, check out the newcomers program. They have some awesome Affiliate Summit veterans there to help guide you and make your time there as successful and useful as possible.
4. If you've been to summit many times before and you find yourself meeting with the same people in the same crowds, I encourage you to break out and choose five random people to introduce yourself to. I ended up consulting for two different billionaires last year because I did this.
5. Have your goals set before you get there. Know which sessions will interest you most and that you plan to attend before the show. That way you will be organized and get what you need to out of it. Anything after that is just a bonus!
6. Go to the Shareasale party. Its always amazing 🙂