This is a live blog post from #OMSummit, Day 2, in San Diego. Session presented by Arnie Kuenn, President of Vertical Measures.
Benefits of a Blog:
- Gives you a vehicle to post new content
- Allows for internal linking
- Keeps the search engines coming back - Have 434% more indexed pages (in example)
- Have 2X as many back links (in example)
- Site gets 55% more traffic (in example)
- You have 79% more twitter followers (in example)
Steps for Solid Content Creation
- Use Google "Discussions" tab to get ideas of discussions going on. Address their main concerns and address them in your content.
- Use Yahoo, Quora, Twitter and Answers.com to get more ideas and questions around any topic. Do an "exact match" search of your keywords to get ideas.
- Use Google suggest to expand your long tail keyword list.
- Use the exact words of the inquiry posts in your title, specifically for questions no one is answering and you will absolutely get to the top of Google quickly.
- OpenSiteExplorer.org - use this tool to get ideas by searching for competitors - they will give you ideas (in Top Pages) - the results in this search show you the most popular pages listed by your competitors. Use this to generate new post ideas.
- Create a content list in a spreadsheet - then spend the time answering these questions. Spreadsheet should include: Title based on research), Content Type (blog post, info graphic, video, etc) and the keywords associated to target in the post.
- Put this into your actual Google or Outlook calendar. This should be planned at least 90 days out. This should be visible in the team calendar and to the CEO.
- Example: Career Guide to Golf. Build it once and it gets thousands of downloads even years later!