This week I’m blogging about Google AdSense and various opportunities for publishers across multiple platforms using Google’s suggestions from their Google AdSense in your City series.
The third part of their invitation only session in Vancouver last week covered essential mobile marketing tips and strategies for publishers and small businesses. Here are my notes from the session.
- Get a mobile site once your website gets 10-15% of visitors through mobile devices.
- Know how much traffic you get to your site through your analytics.
- By 2015, Mobile Users will Surpass Desktop Users.
- In the next 18 months, 15-30% of traffic to your site will come from mobile.
What’s your Mobile Strategy?
- Replicate Top Content (retain mobile users that want to access content on the go) ie: CNN
- Add unique mobile content (provide additional utility to engage with your brand on the go.
Tip: use Google analytics to find out where your visitors are spending all their time on your site then transition that over to mobile.
Mobile Site Best Practices
- Use mobile site redirects
- Minimize scrolling, pinching and zooming
- Simplify Navigation
- Design Pages to Load Fast
- User Analytics to Learn and Iterate
Test Your Site @HowToGoMo.com
Google’s Mobile Offering
- Google AdSense for Mobile
- Text and Image Ads
- CPC and CPM pricing
- Recommended Sizes: 320×50 & 300×250
- Performance reports: Adsense for mobile content
- Admob (App) for Mobile Apps
- DoubleClick DFP – can use for mobile ad management.
Don’t place more than one Google AdSense ad per screenshot. No more than three ad placements allowed per mobile page.
Tip: You can build a free site with DUDAMOBILE – They will do everything for you.
Creating your Mobile Site – Things to Consider
- Do it yourself
- Find a vendor
Time to Build
- 1 Day
- 1 Week
- 1 Month+
Check out your existing Google analytics to determine how quickly you need to get a mobile site up. If you’re in the 10-30% range, now is the time to consider getting one up!