Studying 11 different advertisers in the retail sector, here are some common “how to” best practices around attribution tracking strategy and execution:
- Last click (still dominant)
- First click
- Hybrid model
What’s included in the attribution model?
- Paid search/display
- Organic / non paid / social
- Affiliate / referral
Attribution timeframes commonly tracked:
- 30 mins
- Less than 6 hours
- 7-24 hours
- 25 hours – 7 days
- 7-29 days
- 30 days+
Only 8% of advertisers factor in viewability.
Attribution tracking has three parts:
- Campaign management – tag management systems, ad servers, ad view-ability measurement.
- Analytics – web analytics, attribution pure players (adclear, encore)
- Consultants – agencies and management companies who interpret and manage this data effectively.